Burton Gerber is Adjunct Professor and Senior Fellow in the Security Studies Program at Georgetown University.
He served in the Central Intelligence Agency for 39 years as a case officer and Chief of Station. He worked primarily in operations concerned with the former Soviet Union and the former Warsaw Pact countries. In three Communist countries he was the CIA's Chief of Station. In Washington for eight years he directed the Agency's operational programs in the Soviet Union and Europe.
After his retirement in 1995 Mr. Gerber has spoken and written on questions of espionage and ethics and the importance of espionage and intelligence in the war on terrorism. He has particularly focused on the need to respect civil liberties and human rights in fighting terrorism. Mr. Gerber has also spoken on business ethics and ethics in public service. He has been a volunteer at several non-profit organizations.
With Professor Jennifer Sims of Georgetown University, he is the co-editor of and contributor to Transforming U.S. Intelligence, published by Georgetown University Press in September 2005, and Vaults, Mirrors and Masks: Rediscovering U.S. Counterintelligence, published by Georgetown University Press in January 2009.
Mr. Gerber is a member of the Council on Foreign Relations, the Royal Society for Asian Affairs, the Washington Institute of Foreign Affairs and the Board of Visitors of James Madison College at Michigan State University. He is a Knight of Malta.
Mr. Gerber has received CIA's Distinguished Intelligence Medal, Intelligence Commendation Medal and William J. Donovan Award and the OSS Society's Hugh Montgomery Award for Espionage.
Mr. Gerber graduated with high honor from Michigan State University in 1955 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in International Relations. In 2006, he received the University's Distinguished Alumnus Award. Mr. Gerber served in the United States Army.
With his late wife Rosalie, Mr. Gerber endowed scholarships at Michigan State University, Beta Theta Pi Fraternity and Assumption College in Worcester, MA.